When the Scripps National Spelling Bee takes place in 2 weeks’ time, a lot of eyes will be on Ananya Vinay.
Ananya is a 12-year-old student from Fresno, California, who has just won her third consecutive State Spelling Bee.
According to the Associated Press, the winning word for Ananya was “Dipsomaniac”.
Merriam-Webser Dictionary defines the noun “dipsomania” as “an uncontrollable craving for alcoholic liquors.”
So apart from glory, what will Ananya be competing for on May 31st and June 1st of this year?
The Scripps prizes are as follows:
- A medal from the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- 6th Place – $2,500
- 5th Place – $5,000
- 4th Place – $10,000
- 3rd Place – $20,000
- 2nd Place – $30,000
For the Champion:
- A $40,000 cash prize and Scripps National Spelling Bee engraved trophy
- A $2,500 U.S. savings bond and a complete reference library from Merriam Webster
- From Encyclopædia Britannica, $400 of reference works including a 1768 Encyclopædia Britannica Replica Set Deluxe Edition and a three-year membership to Britannica Online Premium
- A trip to New York City for the Champion to appear on LIVE with Kelly and Ryan (a tv show)
- A trip to Hollywood for the Champion to appear on ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live (another tv show)
Please, support us by sharing this article, it costs you nothing but it's great help in allowing us to keep producing free contents. Thanks !!!